As per the Education Act 58:01 section 14:1, registration of schools is compulsory for all government, government aided and private schools.
School owners and operators.
Submit completed documents for evaluation to the Ministry of Basic Education, Department of Educational Planning and Research Services.
- Completed School Registration Application Form 1
- Proof of ownership (title deed, lease agreement or land certificate).
- Area of operation should be 4.5 hectares for primary and 9 hectares for secondary schools
- Sketch plan of proposed school, showing location in relation to the main road and other main physical features in the village /town
- An approved plan of the building
- Occupation Certificate from lawful authority
- Project memorandum/business plan
- A total of eight references from a banker, religious head, community leader or professionals relevant to the area being contemplated
CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
Before the school is opened the following must be met:
- Sufficient number of classrooms. Minimum classroom size: 9m x 7m in size.
- Minimum of eight toilets for both staff and students (separate for boys/men and women/girls)
- Sufficient water and electricity supply
- Qualified Teachers (All teachers should have permits to teach in Botswana)
- A curriculum approved by the Ministry of Basic Education
- Appropriate furniture, equipment, tools and practical training materials
The process takes 9 weeks to complete. Once the application is received by the Ministry of Basic Education;
- Application is sent to Attorney Generals Chambers to request for a Notice Draft.
- Notice Draft from AG Chambers is signed by Permanent Secretary, Basic Education and sent back to AG Chambers.
- Publication of application in Government Gazette takes six weeks
- Preparation and issuance of school registration certificate
There is no charge for this service.