Skip to main content

Voter Registration Transfer


Any person who is a registered voter at one polling station and would like to transfer their registration to another polling station may apply to have their registration transferred.  A transfer cannot take place when a vacancy has occurred in the polling district the individual wishes to be transferred to.

Who is eligible?

Citizens of Botswana, 18 years or above who hold a valid voters registration card.

How do I get this service?
  • A voter who wishes to transfer their registration of polling stations must bring their current Voter’s Registration Card to a Registration Officer in the constituency in which the new polling station is located.
  • The registration officer will assess the voter’s eligibility to transfer polling stations based on place of residence and reasons advanced.
  • If the voter is eligible to transfer, he/she must surrender their existing Voter’s Registration Card.
  • The voter will then complete a Registration Transfer Card (Form J)
  • The voter will be issued a new Voter’s Registration Card for the new polling station.
  • The voter’s name will be deleted from the roll of his former constituency and added to the roll of the new constituency.

If the transfer is not allowed, the voter will receive a Notice of Rejection (Form K) which can then be appealed.

What supporting documents are required?

Voter Registration Card (Form B).

How long will this service take?

Approximately two weeks from the time the voter visits the Registration Officer in the new constituency.

How much does it cost?

There is no fee for this service.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Please contact the office listed below.

The Secretary

Independent Electoral Commission

Private Bag 00284

Gaborone, Botswana


Phone: (+267) 361 2400

Toll free No: 0800 600 710

Fax: (+267) 3900581/3905205/3190889


Facebook: IEC Botswana

Email: iec_info [at] (iec_info[at]gov[dot]bw)


Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30 Monday to Friday, except weekends and public holidays.

Additional information can also be obtained in the Electoral Act.

Give Us Feedback