A study visa is issued to students who have been accepted by educational institutions in Botswana. The visa is issued for up to three months and is extendable with justification.
Who is eligible?
All foreigners who require visas to enter Botswana to study are eligible for this service.
How do I get this service?
- Go to any immigration office (contact information listed below), Botswana embassy or consulate to complete and submit Form 1 (Application for Visa) in person.
- Submit the required documents (listed below) with the application form.
- Check the outcome of your application from the office where the application was submitted after seven working days.
- An approval/rejection letter is sent to the office where the application was made.
- If the visa application is approved, it will be printed at that office where the application was made. If the visa has not yet been printed, the applicant can travel with the approval letter as proof of a visa to Botswana, and the Visa will printed at the Airport/Immigration Ports of Entry.
What supporting documents are required?
The following documents are required to be submitted with the application form:
- Certified copy of page 1 and 2 of passport showing validity period of not less than six months.
- Two recent coloured passport size photos.
- Covering letter indicating reasons for visit.
- Flight itinerary and accommodation bookings or residential address in Botswana.
- A re-entry permit to the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident if such a permit is required by that country.
- Letter of acceptance by the educational institution.
- Study/Research permit.
- Proof of sponsorship.
How long will this service take?
It takes seven to fourteen days.
How much does it cost?
The service is free.
Where can I obtain this service?
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions abroad .
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.