This involves requesting access into the road infrastructure network for the following services;
- regularisation for existing accesses being upgraded.
- routing/locating service infrastructure within the road reserve ( for example ; communication, power, water & sanitation)
- works within the road reserve (parking facilities, bus stops & advertising space).
- Citizens and non-citizens
- Local Authorities
- Government Departments
- Private Institutions
- Submit an application letter and supporting documents to any of the Department of Roads offices across the country.
- Assessment of applicant's drawings versus design specifications to check if they comply with the Botswana Roads Design Manual ( BDRM).
- The Department will contact the applicant for site inspection with submitted engineering drawings for feasibility.
- The applicant will be provided with pre-feasibility inspections report.
- If satisfactory, recommendations are forwarded to the Ministry of Transport and Communications for approval.
- Once approved by the ministry, pay the prescribed fee.
- Issuance of permit .
- Proof of use of land for which access is sought.
- Engineering drawings (A1 size) capturing details of the following;
- Accesses in close proximity ( road junctions)
- Drainage facilities in proximity
- Utilities which will be affected or in close proximity (power lines, fiber optic cables, underground water pipes and sewer lines).
- Cross sectional details of proposed access/service trench.
- Expected movement into and within the property/reserve.
- Locality sketch plan detailing exact location of property, showing road from which access is required, that is, major highway or location of infrastructure routing/crossing (in case of services).
Thirty (30) working days.
- Minor access to individual farms & residential plots - BWP100.00
- Access to business premises - BWP600.00
- Cutting of tarred road surface & thrust boring - BWP1000.00
- Utility/service rental on road reserve - BWP0.05/linear meter/year
Visit any of the Department of Roads offices across the country to access the service or Department of Roads Headquarters, West Gate mall.
Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.