Skip to main content

Annual Transit Permit (TA)


An Annual Transit Permit is a permit used to convey goods and passengers, usually awarded to foreign registered vehicles which will be operating on transit through the country for a period exceeding 90 days.

Who is eligible?

Foreign registered vehicles in transit.

How do I get this service?
  • Download and complete Form RTS 1 - Application for Initial Grand or Amendment or Renewal of Road Transport Permit and submit along with supporting documents to the Registration and Licensing officer at any permit-issuing in the Department of Road Transport and Safety office for approval. Application forms are also available at the enquiries desk in all the Department of Road Transport and Safety offices.
  • Pay the prescribed fee.
What supporting documents are required?
  • Copy of vehicle registration book
  • Valid vehicle roadworthiness certificate
  • Valid permit from country of origin
  • Consignment Note
  • Copy of business proposal (for new applicants)
How long will this service take?


How much does it cost?

Please refer to the pricing schedule. Cost specified in the pricing schedule and will be determined by the vehicle weight and capacity.

Where can I obtain this service?

Department of  Road Transport and Safety  Offices - Permit issuing offices

  • Gaborone Old Supplies Office
  • Francistown
  • Ghanzi
  • Lobatse
  • Kanye
  • Molepolole
  • Mahalapye
  • Tsabong
  • Kasane
  • Maun 
  • Selebi Phikwe
  • Serowe
  • Palapye
    Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays. 
Where can I get more information on this Service

Public Relations Office

Department of Road Transport and Safety Tshomarelo House

Botswana Savings Bank Building 
Private Bag 0054  

Gaborone Botswana

Tel. (267) 368-8600

Toll Free Number: 17779

Fax.(267) 397-1117/1114

Email: mtcpro [at]    

Give Us Feedback