All non-citizens who wish to stay in Botswana should apply for a residence permit to allow them to live in the country. Persons who are above 18 are required to apply separately if they wish to stay in Botswana and their applications should be supported by the person(s) upon whom they will depend on while in Botswana.
Any non-citizen who wishes to stay in Botswana beyond the visitation period is eligible for this service.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete an application form for residence permit
- Submit the application form to any Immigration office and pay the applicable fees
- Check outcome from the office where you applied
- If application is successful, a residence permit sticker will be stamped in the passport
- If unsuccessful, an applicant can appeal the outcome and or leave the country
Applicable to all
- Two recent coloured passport size photos
- Certified copy of birth certificate. If the applicant is unable to provide such proof of birth, a statement setting out the reasons must be attached
- Certified copy of marriage certificate for each applicant if applicable
- A medical report of full physical examination
- Supporter’s particulars- Copy of Omang or Residence Permit, Work Permit and letter of support
- Letter of consent from the parent if supporter is not a biological parent
- If legally separated, provide a copy of the court order certified as being correct by an official of the court which made it
- Certified copy of adoption certificate where applicable
- Proof of admission letter
- Certified copies of educational certificates and references
- Job posting of position secured
- Localization plan
- Stock Card and Brand Certificate (Herd Boy)
- Field certificate or lease agreement (Farm Labourer)
- Accreditation from Botswana Football association (Footballers and coaches)
- Ordination certificate and Church registration certificate (Pastors)
- Clearance Certificate from Education (Teachers)
- Clearance from Ministry of Health (Doctors)
- Clearance from Botswana Accountancy Association (Accountants)
- Name of business
- Location of business
- Service provided or goods sold
- Number of employees hired
- Shares held
- Value of property owned or copy of lease agreement
- Type of trading license held
- Tax returns
- Company bank statement for the most recent 3 months
Thirty (30) working days to complete.
The cost to apply for the residence permit is BWP 1500.00.
Departmental HQ, Regional Immigration Offices and District Immigration Offices.
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Migration and Visa Division
Head Office, Block 8, Government Enclave
Private Bag 002
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions.
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
Botswana, Botswana Government, Republic of Botswana, Government of Botswana.