The Department of Protocol and Consular Services in the Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation facilitates burials and repatriation of foreign nationals in Botswana. The authority to bury is given by the Office of the District Commissioner in the relevant district where the application is lodged.
- Foreign nationals wishing to bury their deceased in Botswana
- Foreign nationals wishing to repatriate their deceased relatives from Botswana
- Applicants should contact their country's nearest diplomatic mission, or consulate of the country of the deceased and request a Note Verbale authorising burial in Botswana or repatriation.
- Submit Note Verbale and accompanying documents (death certificate, a copy of passport or Identity card of applicant, residence permit, letter from spouse or authorised immediate family member consenting to the burial or repatriation).
- Death Certificate
- Copy of passport or national Identity card of applicant
- Note Verbale from country's representative Diplomatic Mission or Consulate (Attach Link of Diplomatic Missions accredited to Botswana)
- Letter of consent from spouse or authorised immediate family member.
- Copy of passport of the deceased.
- Copy of residence /work permit (for resident)
Two (2) working days.
Department of Protocol and Consular Services
Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation
Private Bag 00368
Tel. (+267) 3600700
Fax. (+267) 3973067
Email. miacprotocol [at] gov.bw
Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holidays.