Skip to main content

Application for Exemption Certificate


The service allows for legal firearms owners to seek permission to retain their unserviceable firearms.

Who is eligible?
  • Any legally registered owner of a firearm

How do I get this service?
  • Write a letter seeking exemption certificate from the Commissioner of Police.
  • After the Commissioner of Polices approval download and complete Application for exemption certificate form (Application forms are also available at all Police Stations) and submit it to Central Arms Registry.
What supporting documents are required?
  • Valid National Identification document (Omang)
  • Non-citizens must present a valid passport and residence permit
  • Tender both the firearm and Registration Certificate to Licensing Officer
How long will this service take?

14 working days

How much does it cost?

No cost 

Where can I obtain this service?

Any police station.

Where can I get more information on this Service
Botswana Police Service Lot 4, Government Enclave Private Bag 0012 Gaborone Botswana Tell. (+267) 3951161 Fax. (+267) 3973723 Email: police [at]

Give Us Feedback