Skip to main content

Electronic Emergency Travel Document (ETD)


An Emergency Travel Document is a document issued to people who need to travel within a short period of time on emergency basis to neighbouring countries except South Africa.

Who is eligible?

All citizens of Botswana are eligible for this service.

How do I get this service?

In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps:

  1. Fill and submit the Application for Passport Form to any immigration office countrywide (contact information provided below).
  2. Submit payment (listed below) along with the application form.
  3. In the case of parent(s) or guardian(s) applying for an e-passport for persons aged 16 years or younger, bring the child to the office when submitting the application.
  4. Check the outcome of your application from the Office in which the application was made within 24 hours.
What supporting documents are required?

For persons aged 16 years and above:

  1. Original Omang Card and one certified copy of Omang.
  2. Citizenship certificate of parents and/or applicant if parents were once foreign nationals (seek Clarification from Passport and Citizen Officers).
  3. Omang details for parent(s) as well as details of parent's place of birth.
  4. Old passport (physical copy) or for lost passport please bring the police report or affidavit before the commissioner of oath. The forms are collected by the applicant or parent if under 16 years of age.

For children under 16 years of age:

  1. Original birth certificate and one certified copy of birth certificate.
  2. Original Omang Card of parent(s).
  3. Guardian’s original Omang Card (in case of deceased or missing parents).
  4. Death certificate(s) of deceased parent(s) if applicable.
  5. Letter from District Commissioner, Chief or Social Worker for proof of guardianship in the case of guardian(s) applying for the child’s e-passport.
  6. Old passport of child.
  7. Citizenship certificate of parents and/or owner (registration) if parents were once foreign nationals (seek clarification from Passport and Citizen Officers).
How long will this service take?

Within 24 hrs.

How much does it cost?

This service costs P12.00

Where can I obtain this service?

Departmental HQ, Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs

Government Enclave, Block 8, Khama Crescent

P. O. Box 942



Tel. (+267) 361 1373/ (+267) 361 1375

Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.


Give Us Feedback