Poverty Alleviation and Housing Schemes are implemented in fulfillment of recommendations contained is Section 17.49 of the National Development Plan (NDP 8). The general objective is to facilitate home ownership by citizen low income households (both in urban and rural areas) by assisting them to acquire productive skills as well as establish and manage their own income generating activities. The intention is not for G
overnment to employ or build houses for the beneficiaries, but only to facilitate the process of home ownership and income generation.
Citizens of low income households and unemployed Batswana.
A low income household is defined as any household or individual whose income is below the minimum required to qualify for the Self Help Housing Agency (SHHA) programme. An unemployed household is a household or individual without any paid formal or informal means of sustenance.
Beneficiaries will be selected from respective settlements in which the projects are located, except where specific social groups may be targeted. Selection of beneficiaries is the responsibility of respective City/Town/District Councils in consultation with the Department of Housing.
Proof of citizenship is required. Further, applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Should be unemployed (with or without any employable skills);
- Should earn an income below the minimum required to qualify for the SHHA programme;
- Should be between 21 and 60 years at the time of application;
- Should be able bodied and have no serious criminal record;
- Should be prepared to offer labour (as an industrial hand) under the project;
- Should be prepared to accept wages to be decided by the governing body or the Project Co-ordinating Committee (PCC) of the project; and
- Should demonstrate devotion during initial orientation to participate in self-help housing projects.
Assessments for potential beneficiaries are made on a monthly basis whereupon those successful are enrolled in the programme.
Enrollment in this project is free.
From any District Council offices across the country.