This service registers citizens aged 16 years and above and issues them with a National Identity Document (Omang). The Omang Card is used as a form of identity and for accessing services.
All citizens of Botswana who are 16 years and above are eligible for this service.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps:
- For applicants applying for an Omang Card for the first time, complete and submit the Application for Registration (1st Schedule).
- For applicants applying for an Omang Card due to loss, renewal, theft, damage or change of surname, complete and submit the Application for Replacement.
- Along with the application form, submit the required documents (listed below) and provide finger prints. At the time of submission, a receipt will be issued to the applicant.
- The form is then forwarded to a centralized production center for processing. Upon successful processing, an Identity is issued for collection by the client.
- A receipt of submission is required when collecting the Identity Card.
- New applications done after 30 days of the applicant’s sixteenth birthday or acquiring citizenship are referred to as late registration. Applicants will be referred to the Botswana Police Service for cautioning and fining before collecting the Identity.
- Birth certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- Proof of change of surname for applications due to change of surname
Fourteen(14) working days.
- Where Identity Card is registered within the prescribed time (30 days after attaining 16 years of age or acquiring citizenship), an Identity card is issued for free.
- Any registration done after that period attracts a fine not exceeding BWP500.00
- A fee of BWP5.00 is payable for renewals, change of surname, and damaged Identity. A fee of BWP110.00 is payable for lost and stolen Identity Card.
All Regional and District ofices accross the country
Department of Civil and National Registration
Head Office, Block 8, Government Enclave
Private Bag 00240
Tel. (+267) 361 1400
Fax. (+267) 395 9998
Toll Free Number. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.