This application is meant for people who were citizens of Botswana by birth or descent but have ceased to be citizens of Botswana. The purpose of this service is to resume the Botswana citizenship for former citizens.
Botswana citizens by birth, descent and registration but have ceased to be citizens of Botswana due to failing to renounce their foreign citizenship before attaining the age of 21 or having willingly renounced their Botswana Citizenship.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete and Submit Form S to any Immigration Office along with required documents and fees listed below.
- After processing, the response will be sent to the applicant through mail.
- Letters requesting you to renounce your foreign citizenship will be sent to you through mail.
- You will be issued with a Certificate of Resumption after you have renounced your foreign citizenship
- Two passport size coloured photos.
- Late renunciation form.
- Certified copy of birth certificate.
- Certified copy of parents’ marriage certificate if applicable.
- Proof of parents’ citizenship status.
- Certified copy of valid residence permit/ Omang.
- Justification letter explaining why the applicant is resuming.
- Applicant’s marriage certificate (if applicable).
Approximately one month.
The service costs BWP200.00
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.