Skip to main content

Citizenship Application – Declaration of Intention


An applicant who intends to apply for a Certificate of Naturalization as a Foreign Spouse must submit a Declaration of Intention Form as required by the Citizenship Act.

Who is eligible?

The applicant must be a non-citizen married to a Botswana citizen and has resided in Botswana for a minimum of two and a half years.

How do I get this service?

In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.

  •  Complete and Submit Form K “Declaration on Intention to make an Application for a Certificate of Naturalization by a Foreign Spouse” and submit at any Immigration Office along with required documents and fees listed below.
  •  After the application is received, the office will send the Maturity Letter to the applicant through mail.
What supporting documents are required?
  • Two passport size coloured photos.
  • Certified copy of the spouse’s valid national identity card (Omang).
  • Certified copy of valid residence permit.
  • Certified copy of marriage certificate.
How long will this service take?

Approximately one month.

How much does it cost?

There are no costs

Where can I obtain this service?

All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions abroad.

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs

Tel. (+267) 361 1300

Toll Free. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.



Give Us Feedback