To ensure that those who are poverty-stricken are able to provide for themselves and their families, the government, with the help of private sector, provides assistance via the Poverty Eradication Programme.
Prior to receiving the package, the applicant would be provided with the necessary technical skills and awareness, and business training.
Typically, the Poverty Eradication Programme packages are for the following lines of business:
- Home-based laundry.
- Leather works.
- Jam and vegetable pickles.
- Food catering.
- Tent hire.
- Backyard tree nursery.
- Hair salon.
- Backyard gardening.
Citizens 18 years and above, and living below the established Poverty Datum Line
- Visit the Social and Community Development office in their area with supporting documents expressing interest in accessing benefits under the Poverty Eradication Programme.
- The Social and Community Development Officer would provide the applicant with information on the various poverty eradication packages that exist.
- Based on the information provided, indicate preferred package. The Social and Community Development Officer would provide more detailed information on the preferred package and perform a site visit at an agreed time to assess suitability for the requested package.
- If the officer determines that the site is not suitable for the preferred package, the applicant is advised and guided through the selection of another, more suitable package.
The following documents are necessary to access this service:
- National Identification Card (Omang).
- Social Enquiry Form (available at urban and district council offices and to be filled by the Social and Community Development Officer).
Two (2) months.
Contact any of the Botswana Urban and District Council Offices,
Opening hours:- 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.