Skip to main content

Solemnization of Marriage


The service is given to a couple who wishes to be joined in matrimony. The marriage is solemnized by the District Commissioner in accordance with the law.

Who is eligible?

One must

  • Be twenty one (21) years old or above
  • Widow / widower
  • Sane (Mentally fit ) persons
  • Divorced persons
How do I get this service?
  • The couple should present themselves in person at the time of registration and at the time of solemnization.¬†
  • Any witness above twenty one (21) years for each party.
What supporting documents are required?

A certified copy of a valid National Identity card (Omang).

How long will this service take?

Filling of Solemnization forms twenty one (21) days before the marriage is solemnized.

How much does it cost?

P 40.00 for banns, P 90.00 for special.

Where can I obtain this service?

District Commisioners Offices throughout Botswana.

Where can I get more information on this Service

National and Civil Registration Offices throughout Botswana.

Give Us Feedback