A lessee in a lease agreement of a property may register the lease at the Deeds office. A lessee is a person (natural person or juristic person) in whose favour the lease is made. i.e. who is given rights to use the property by the owner of the property
Any natural or juristic person given the right to use the property by the owner may register the lease.
Submit the relevant items listed below to the deeds office in person.
For both individuals and juristic persons, the following documents must be submitted to the deeds office:
- Two copies of the lease agreement. The lease agreements are obtained from Land boards
- Two copies of a sketched plan of the property
- Two diagrams of the property under lease which have been approved by the Director of Surveys and Mapping
- Two A3 size manila folders in which to place all relevant documents
For individuals, the following additional documents are required:
- If the party registering the lease is a citizen:
- Valid National identification card (Omang)
- If the party registering the lease is a non-citizen:
- Valid Identification (e.g. passport)
- Ministers Consent
- An affidavit of birth
- A filled Annexure A form (provided with a copy of the lease agreement from the Land Board)
For juristic persons (e.g. corporations), the following additional documents are required:
- Certificate of shareholding of the individuals who own the corporation
- Resolution of the corporation authorizing the registration of lease and appointing a representative to act on behalf of the company
- Valid National Identification cards (Omang) for all shareholders
- Affidavit attesting to shareholding of the individuals who own the corporation
- Certificate of incorporation and an extract of the Memorandum and Article of Association company
If all documents are submitted at the time of registration, the process should take about one working day.
There are no fees associated with this service.
For more information please contact the two deeds offices available below. Opening hours are from 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.
For properties south of Dibete, including the districts of Ghanzi and Kgalagadi:
Deeds Registry Gaborone
Attorney General's Chamber
Ground and First Floor
Private Bag 0020
For properties north of and in Dibete (Dibete included):
Deeds Registry Francistown
Plot 252 Light Industrial (Old BGI Building)
Private Bag F283