Skip to main content

Application for Customary Law Land Grant


It is an application for Grant of Customary Rights on Tribal Land.  Upon allocation, the plot holder shall be issued with a Deed of Customary Land Grant printed on a paper with special security features. Once granted, the Rights are held in perpetuity and can be passed from one generation to another.

A customary law land grant can be issued for, but not limited to, the following purposes:

  • Residential plots
  • Arable fields/integrated
  • Borehole
Who is eligible?
  • Motswana
  • Attained age of majority
How do I get this service?
What supporting documents are required?
  • Certified and valid copy of Omang
  • Copy of Instrument signed under Married Persons Property Act (proof of Marriage regime if married and Affidavit if not married)
  • Decree absolute and court order where applicable
  • In case of widow/widower, death certificate
  • In case of People Living with disability (PLWD) copy of Disability Card
  • In case of dis-advantaged and marginalized groups, a confirmation letter and assessment report from District Council
How long will this service take?

Residential plots are allocated through a waiting list process depending on the availability of surveyed and serviced land.

How much does it cost?

There is no cost to the service

Where can I get more information on this Service

For more information, please contact any of the Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services Headquarters (Customer Service) or any Land Boards from the Land Boards and their Subordinate Land Boards listing document or call the Ministry of Land Management, Water and Sanitation Services

Toll Free Number 0800 600 737 .

Opening hours are from 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.

Give Us Feedback