Youth Development Fund (YDF) is a socio-economic programme for start-ups and expanding businesses. YDF was introduced in the financial year 2009/10 as an economic empowerment programme meant to assist aspiring youth to venture into various economic enterprises funded at 50% loan & 50% grant. MYSC works in collaboration with other stakeholders such as Local Enterprise Authority to build the spirit of entrepreneurship and other government ministries and parastatals who offer technical support. YDF aims to achieve the following:
- Promote active participation of youth in the socio-economic development of the country
- Encourage the out of school, marginalized, unemployed and underemployed youth to venture into sustainable and viable income generating projects
- Promote the development of competitive, sustainable and growth-oriented citizen owned youth enterprises
- Reduce rural-urban migration by making it attractive to start growth-oriented enterprises in rural areas.
- Create sustainable employment opportunities for young people through the development of sustainable projects.
- Botswana citizens aged 18-35 years
- Out-of-school youth
- Unemployed youth
- Underemployed youth earning less than P2 500/month
- Youth cooperatives comprising of 5-10 members
- Existing youth businesses: self-funded and funded through other government schemes such as LIMID, Poverty Eradication, Out of school youth grant whose businesses have operated for 6 months and above
- Call for applications is done annually between May and June.
- Download the Youth Development Fund application form or get them from the nearest MYSC District Office.
- A cash-flow forecast statement covering all revenue and expenditure for a period of 12 months
- Two (2) sets of quotations covering all items included in the proposed budget
- A copy of valid license of operation (where applicable)
- Certified copies of valid national identity document (Omang) for all business partners
- A letter of intent to lease or lease agreement in cases of operating businesses or proof of
- Curriculum Vitae of all members/partners
- Certified copies of vocational and or academic certificates or traceable references
- Copy of partnership deed, or cooperative constitution, or memorandum and articles of
association (where applicable)
- Company resolutions for loan application
- Succession plan
- Certificates of business registration and shareholder's certificate should show full details (i.e.
names and ages) of members. (Form 2 & 5 listing Company Directors)
- Certified copies of parents/guardians/spouse’s national identity card (Omang)
- Proof of market (letters of intent to buy from potential customers, market research report)
- The expert consultation form should be part of the YDF form as a guide to youth to consult with the relevant experts that are in line with their proposed projects (where applicable)
- For married applicants (in community of property) there should be written consent from the
- ITC clearance report upon approval and this should be provided by the applicant
- Applicants to provide documents confirming suitability of the proposed project site
The turn around time for processing applications is Forty-five (45) working days.
Nearest MYSC District Office.
All Ministry District offices
Ministry of Youth Empowerment, Sport and Culture Development
Y2K Building – Central Business District
Private Bag 00514,
Tel. (+267) 3682600
Fax. (+267) 3913473
Toll Free No. 0800 600 883
Facebook Page: MyscBW
Twitter Page: @myscbw
Instagram Page: myscbw
Email: mycontactzone [at] gov.bw
Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 1630 Monday to Friday except Public Holidays.