Skip to main content

Diplomatic Vehicle Registration Numbers


Members of the Diplomatic Corps are entitled to purchase/import motor vehicles other than trucks, tractors or other commercial types of vehicles without any charges for duty or VAT. These are then provided with diplomatic vehicle registration. All imported vehicles must be registered with the Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation, and only a maximum of two vehicles are allowed per married couple and one for an unmarried Diplomat. Vehicles registered to the individual members of the Diplomatic Corps are to be retained in their possession in Botswana for a minimum period of 2 years in order to enjoy VAT exemption benefits. To dispose locally or export Diplomatic vehicles requires written permission from the Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation.

Who is eligible?

Members of the diplomatic community.

How do I get this service?
What supporting documents are required?
  • Note Verbale requesting for facilitation to purchase, import, export or sell a vehicle.
  • Application for Registration of Diplomat-Motor Vehicle form.
  • Copy of BURS Certificate A - Diplomatic Importation, if the vehicle is imported.  
  • Copy of Vehicle Registration Book.
How long will this service take?

2 working days.

How much does it cost?

No charges.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Ministry of International Affairs and Cooperation
Private Bag 00368 
Government Enclave
Tel. (+267) 3600700
Fax. (+267) 3973067
Email. miacprotocol [at] (miacprotocol[at]gov[dot]bw)

Tel. (+267) 3600744
Fax. (+267) 3974516

Give Us Feedback