The component assist Individual and cluster farmers to purchase irrigation system (drip, sprinkler, and centre pivot) which includes water conveyance lines, booster pumps but excludes engines. Shade net material including polythene tunnels can also be provided through this service.
This assistance will be provided once every 10 years for the irrigation system. The maximum ceiling is P200 000.00. The minimum farm size for individuals and a group is one (1) hectares and two (2) hectares respectively. Individual farmers are expected to contribute 60% of the total cost farm equipment while a group is expected to pay 40%. The programme does not allow or accept contribution in kind.
- Citizens and non-citizens aged 18 years and above
- Applicants should have access to land (proof of ownership or leasehold). In case of leasehold, the lease period should not be less than 10 years.
- Associations, companies, partnerships or groups registered either under Agricultural Management Associations (AMA), Cooperatives, Registrar of Societies or Registrar of Companies
- Farmers who have been assisted once will not qualify for assistance within that year even if they have not exhausted the allocated funds in that particular component
- Submit the relevant supporting documents to the Agricultural Demonstrator (AD) or Extension Officer (EO)
- The AD will verify if all the necessary information is provided and if the applicant meets the eligibility criteria
- The Agricultural Demonstrator/Extension Officer will submit the application with the supporting documents to the District Crop Production Officer (DCPO)
- The application shall be appraised and the appraising team shall inform the applicant in writing about the fate of his/her application
- The applicant in turn will submit the approval letter to the supplier of farm equipment or the service provider.
- If approved the farmer or a group must pay the supplier 60% and 40% of the total cost of the farm equipment and the Government pays the other 40 % and 60% respectively. .
- If the applicant is aggrieved about the decision of the appraising team on his or her application , he or she shall make an appeal to the office of the Director of Crop Production within 30 days of receiving the response letter from the DCPO
- Certified copy of valid National Identity Card (Omang).
- Land Board Certificate, lease or title deed. In case of lease, the lease period should not be less than 10 years.
- Business plan
- Prove of established and reliable water source (e.g the borehole must yield at least 2.5m³/hour to be able to irrigate half a hectare)
- For associations, companies, partnerships or groups registered prove of registration either under Agricultural Management Associations (AMA), Cooperatives, Registrar of Societies or Registrar of Companies.
- Three (3) months.
- Individual farmers pays 60% of the cost of farm equipment.
- Groups pay 40% of the cost of farm equipment.
The nearest Crop Production Office
Department of Crop Production
Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security Headquarters
Plot 4701, Mmaraka Road
Private Bag 00435
Tel. (+267) 3689305
Email. moa17755 [at] gov.bw (moa17755[at]gov[dot]bw)
Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 then 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holidays.