This service allows citizens of Botswana to change their official name, as registered in the Civil and National Registry.
All citizens of Botswana.
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete and submit Application for Change of Name (with relevant support documents) to the Department of Civil and National Registration.
- The application will be processed and publicised in the Government Gazette for 30 days to accommodate possible objections.
- If there are no objections, an authorisation is publicised for 14 days in the Government Gazette to inform members of the proposed change.
- If there is no objection to the authorisation, an authorisation letter is issued to the client.
Certified copies of the following documents should accompany the application form when applying for this service.
Change of Name due to marriage
- Marriage Certificate or certificate from customary authorities in the case of a customary marriage (on the marriage of applicant’s parents).
Change of Name due to any other reasons
- Birth Certificate or Affidavit of Birth.
- School Academic Certificates.
- Omang Card.
- Page 1 and 2 of passport.
- Any other legal documents.
- Change of name due to marriage is processed same day
- Change of name due to any other reason takes 69 days to complete.
The cost of obtaining this service is BWP100.00
All Regional and Diatrict Offices accross the country
Department of Civil and National Registration
Head Office, Block 8, Government Enclave
Private Bag 00240
Tel. CTEL:(+267) 361100/1400/ 1465
Toll free number. 0800 600 777
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.