Skip to main content

Issuance of Permits for Dried Grains


This service enables Importers and Exporters to import/export the following products; grain-based animal feed for poultry and livestock; sorghum & sorghum products; maize & maize products; millet and millet products; wheat grain; pulses (castor beans, groundnuts); and sunflower seed.

Who is eligible?
  • Registered Businesses (Companies and Hawkers)
  • Citizens (Farmers and Individuals)
How do I get this service?

In order to attain a dried grains import permit, applicants should bring the relevant documents to the nearest authorized Permit Issuing Office where the Authorized Officer will fill in and complete, at the time of request, a permit form with specific details which include;

Quantities and type of locally procured products to be imported as follows;

  • 30% of the maize grain and 70% of the maize meal, samp, maize rice or animal feed for poultry and livestock
  • 50% of the sorghum grain and 70% of the sorghum meal, sorghum rice or any other processed sorghum product (animal feed).
  • Border post of entry
  • Country of origin of import
  • Endorsement at the border post by Botswana Unified Revenue Services (BURS).
What supporting documents are required?
  • Proof of local purchase
  • A certified copy of valid National Identification card (Omang)
  • An original and valid Hawkers or Trading License
  • A letter of Authorization to apply on behalf of the Company
  • A original and valid Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Certificate
  • A valid Botswana Bureau of Standards (BOBS) Certificates
How long will this service take?

One (1) working day

How much does it cost?

No cost

Where can I get more information on this Service

Ministry of Agricultural Development and Food Security
Department of Agribusiness Promotion
Private Bag 00298
Tel. (+267) 3689706/3689709 
Fax. (+267) 3972381 

Call Centre
Email. moa17755 [at]

Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holiday‚Äč

Give Us Feedback