Skip to main content

World War II (WW II) Veterans Allowance


The ex-service men and spouse(s) of a deceased veteran who were involved in World Wars I and II are entitled to an allowance in recognition of their contributions. The applicant must complete and submit a life declaration form every 6 months.

The allowance is BWP600.00

Please note that this form must be written and signed in the presence of the District Commissioner.

Who is eligible?
  • Botswana citizens with a valid national identification card (Omang) who participated in World War I or World War II.
  • Spouse(s) of a deceased veteran who participated in the wars and has not married another man who ever participated in the World Wars following the death of the veteran husband or wife.
  • A deceased veteran's child under 21 years of age whose mother is also deceased. 
How do I get this service?
  • Visit the local tribal administration office to request a declaration letter confirming the veteran's participation in the war. For a list of tribal administration office across the country, click here.
  • Take the declaration letter and supporting documents to the District Commissioner's office, requesting enrolment into the veterans pension programme. For a list of these Botswana Urban and District Council offices, please click here.
  • Download and complete the Registration of Beneficiary Form or visit the Department of Social Services to complete the form and submit with relevant supporting documents.
  • Indicate preference of payment either through the 12 month voucher book at the post office / Tribal administration office in his or her area or monthly bank transfer.
What supporting documents are required?
  • National Identification Card (Omang).
  • Declaration Letter from Tribal Authority.
  • Passport (Non-citizen).
  • Residence Permit (Non-citizen).
  • Marriage Certificate (Spouse).
  • Birth Certificate (Children).
  • Veteran's Death Certificate (Spouse & Children).
  • Spouse's Death Certificate (Children).
How long will this service take?

One (1) month.

How much does it cost?

No cost.

Where can I obtain this service?

Social  Protection  Service Offices at any District or Urban Council.

Where can I get more information on this Service

Ministry of Local Government & Rural Development 
Department of Social Protection
Plot 54357,Varsha,CBD
Private Bag 0097
TEL: 397 1916
Fax. (+267) 397-1866

Opening hours are from 7:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.​​

Give Us Feedback