Skip to main content

Tertiary Education Funding (Rural Area Development Programme)


The government is committed to ensuring that citizens in remote areas are able to access tertiary education and therefore pays funding directly to the various schools where the children from the remote areas attend. 

When applying for funding, applicants are asked to be mindful that different institutions have varying deadlines.The ministry of local Government in liaison ensures of Department of Tertiary Education and Funding (DTEF) gives special dispensation to Rural Development Area citizen beneficiaries

Who is eligible?

Citizens or residents, living in any of the 6​9 Settlements Qualified Under the Rural Area Development Programme​.

How do I get this service?

1. Visit the Social and Community Development Office (SCDO) in his/her area, with the supporting documents, and  express the education needs. The officers would then provide the applicant with information on varying tertiary education institutions, including application forms.

2. Complete the application form for the preferred institution. The officers would then prepare a covering letter to the institution and the DTEF, dispatch them and advise on the outcome of the application.

What supporting documents are required?
  • Most recent secondary education results slip or certificate.
  • A valid National Identity Card (Omang).
How long will this service take?

Three (3) weeks  

How much does it cost?

No cost

Where can I get more information on this Service

Contact any of the Botswana Urban and District Council Offices, 

Opening hours: - 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays. 

Give Us Feedback