The service is for the issuance of the licence to businesses that wish to engage in large scale mining operations in Botswana. The applicant must obtain a mining licence in order to mine in the country.
Citizens and non-citizens owned businesses
Holders of a prospecting licence, retention licence, or a prospecting waiver
Additionally the Company has:
- Established domicilium citandi et executandi in Botswana.
- Incorporated under the Company Act and carries business of mining under the licence.
- Not been in liquidation or under judicial management, except where such liquidation or judicial management is part of scheme for reconstruction or amalgamation of such company.
- None of the Directors or Shareholders are disqualified as an individual under above requirements of an individual.
- Download, complete the Mining License Application Form V (a) or Mining License Application Form V (b) (renewal) and submit to the nearest office.
- Obtain a Prospecting Licence from Department of Mines.
- Conduct a Bankable Feasibility Study on the mining and processing the mineral deposit discovered.
- Obtain surface rights from the land authority or land owner with a stamped sketch plan showing coordinates.
- Obtain authorization for Environmental Impact Assessment from Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA).
- Obtain Archaeological Clearance with location coordinates from Department of National Museum and Monuments (DNMM).
- Parent company guarantee.
- Certificate of incorporation.
- Company documents and identity documents of directors and shareholding.
- Bankable Feasibility Study report.
- Proposed rehabilitation programme.
- Letter of surface rights.
- Letter of authorisation from DEA.
- Letter of authorisation from DNMM.
- If applying within a conservation area, clearance from the Department of Wildlife and National Parks.
- Copy of prospecting license, or a retention license, or a prospecting waiver.
Thirty (30) days.
An annual lease rental fee charged at BWP 100.00 per square kilometre, the first annual lease is paid on receiving of the mining licence and then paid annually on anniversary of the licence.
Department of Mines
Government Enclave, Block 6, Khama Crescent
(Ministry of Basic education building, floor 4)
Fax. (+267) 395 2141
Email: mines [at] gov.bw
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays