Local time: Wednesday, 19 February 2020 20:59:01hrs
I am looking for: 

The Directorate of Public Service Management (DPSM)
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs for Public Service Recruitment

Check below for the answers to questions frequently asked by our clients, they may be of help to you...

Q: As an electrical/mechanical/civil engineer, to which Ministry do I tender my job-seeking application?

A: Due to decentralisation of some DPSM functions, job applications should now be sent to the particular ministry an applicant wishes to apply to. In the case of the above scenario, Ministry of Works and Transport.


Q: What does the Government of Botswana's salary structure contain?

A: Different salaries, notches and allowances for different scales and cadres.


Q: How often does the Government of Botswana review its salary structure?

A: Special Salary Review Commissions are appointed as and when the need arises.


Q: Where can I find information on vacancies available in the Public Service?

A: All Ministries and Departments advertise their vacancies in the local media, but DPSM vacancies can be found in this website and in the local media. However DPSM still advertises certain posts for other ministries/departments.


Q: How long does an advertised post take to be filled?

A: About two (2) months, but this is dependent on several circumstances.


Q: Do you consider my salary in the Private Sector when you offer me employment in the Public Service?

A: No, we do not. However, we give incremental credit up to six (6) notches only if your experience is relevant to the job.

Botswana Public Officers Pension Fund


Q: Is it possible to take part of my benefits in the fund out while I am still employed in the public service?

A: Unfortunately the Fund and the Trustees are bound in terms of the Pension and Provident Funds Act, which states that members cannot use their money in the fund unless they borrow it specifically for housing purposes. There are also further limitations in that the maximum loan can only be 25% of the value of a member's benefits. Another restriction is that the fund has to charge interest and physically lend the member the money and would therefore have to set up controls to ensure that the money was repaid and recorded as such. This would lead to significant additional administration expenses and is, therefore, in the Trustees' opinion not a viable option.


Q: Why can I not take all my benefits when I leave the Fund before I retire?

A: In terms of the laws governing pension funds in Botswana, the maximum you may take as a cash lump sum on leaving the Fund prior to retirement is 25% of the value of your benefit, less tax, unless your total benefit is less than P10 000 in which case you can take the whole amount as cash, less tax. The balance of your benefit (75%), if any, must be either left in the Fund, or transferred to another approved retirement arrangement until you wish to retire. Your deferred benefit will continue to grow in value until you retire, and should you die before you retire, the value of your deferred benefit at the date of your death will immediately be paid to your dependents.


It is extremely important that if you choose to transfer to another approved retirement fund on leaving the Botswana Public Officers Pension Fund that the charges, both initial and on-going, in your new fund are fully disclosed to you, as well as the expected growth of your benefit going forward. Although you would no longer be a civil servant, you may leave your benefit in the Botswana Public Officers Pension Fund. This will continue to be invested on your behalf by the Fund's Trustees and you will receive the same growth and services as contributing members do.


Q: When I leave why can I not have a cash cheque?

A: As part of the Fund's security measures, all benefit cheques have to include the member's Omang (ID) number and bank account details under the "payee" section of the cheque to ensure that it cannot cashed by anyone other than the member who left. It is also a way of avoiding members carrying very large amounts of cash as this could lead to them being robbed and hence endangering their lives. It is therefore very important that leaving members maintain an active bank account, at least until they receive their benefit payment cheque, or payment will be delayed.


Q: Do my dependants have to meet with the fund's consultants when I die?

A: Yes, your dependants need to meet with the fund's consultants in order to determine what they want to do with their benefit entitlement with regard to the options available to them, as per the rules of the fund.


Q: What documents/information do my dependants need to provide my employer with when I die?

A: A certified copy of the death certificate, a copy of your Omang/identity card, copies of the beneficiaries/dependants identity documents (e.g. birth certificates, Omang), and contact details of all the beneficiaries/dependants.


Q: What pension benefits do my dependants get, and where do they collect them after my death?

A: If you die as a member while in service, your fund credit at the date of death shall be payable from the fund as a lump sum benefit. If such benefit exceeds four times your fund salary at the date of your death, then the balance of the benefit will be used to purchase a pension(s) from a registered insurance company.


Q: What happens to my children's benefits if they are still minors?

A: Benefits for minors are placed in a Trust where the money will be preserved until such a time that the children reach the age of 21 and only then will they have the capacity to receive their claim. Guardians of the minors are permitted to withdraw cash for maintenance.


Q: With whom do my beneficiaries follow up on the progress of their benefit claim?

A: Follow-ups by beneficiaries should be directed to the former employer of the deceased.


Q: Do I need to meet with the fund's consultants when I retire from my employer?

A: Yes, the consultants will educate you on the available pension options and also help you decide on the best possible pension to choose.


Q: What documents/information do I need to provide my employer with when I retire?

A: A completed retirement notification form, original certified copies of Omang/identity document, marriage certificate or proof of customary union if the member is married, a copy of the spouse's Omang/identity document, and member's contact details (i.e. telephone, address).


Q: How much cash do I get, where do I collect it when I retire?

A: You are entitled to one-third of your final updated fund credit as a cash lump sum, net of any outstanding tax. The cheque can then be collected at your former employer's office.


Q: Do I pay tax on my monthly pension payment?

A: Yes. In terms of the laws governing pension funds in Botswana, monthly pension payments are treated as normal income and you will therefore be liable to pay tax on these amounts.


Q: What happens to my two-thirds?

A: Your to-thirds will be used to purchase an annuity/pension from the fund or from an insurance company registered in Botswana. A pension is treated as taxable income and will to you on a monthly basis for the rest of your life. This amount primarily depends on the amount of the two-thirds.


Q: Can I calculate what my pension will be if I know what my fund credit is?

A: Unfortunately not. The amount of your monthly pension is largely dependant on interest rates at the time you retire. Interest rates change daily and therefore you cannot tell what they will be when you retire.


Q: Can the monthly pension payment stop before I die?

A: No. Your monthly pension payment is guaranteed by the Fund or the insurance company to be paid to you for at least the remainder of your life.


Q: Can I have a monthly pension that will increase each year?

A: Yes. At retirement you can choose whether you want your pension to increase each year. For example, you can elect a pension with an annual increase of 5% or 10% per annum.

Other Frequently Asked Questions...Answered

Q: Is off-campus allowance payable during school vacation?
A:Yes, except when the officer has resumed official duty.

Q:An officer is on a training programme at a training institution within his duty station. The officer has not been provided with campus accommodation. Does he therefore qualify for off-campus allowance?
A:No, unless the officers place of residence is outside 25KM radius from the training institution/ duty station.

Q:Does an officer earn leave when on long-term training?
A:No, officers on training programmes of at least nine (9) months cease to earn leave upon their departure.

Q:Under what circumstances does government bear the costs of homeward travel during training outside the country?
In the case of death of a spouse, parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law and siblings, or during vacations following the completion of the first two years of a continuing training programme.

Q:Can one apply for a scholarship without consulting one’s employer?
Yes. It is however advisable for officers to inform their employers so that they may be provided with what-ever government support they may require including being granted study leave.

Q:Is an officer’s seniority in the service an important factor in deciding whether to send the officer for training?
No, an officer’s seniority will not necessarily always be the important factor. What matters is if the envisaged training programme is relevant to the officers field of work and he/she found lacking in the skills to be addressed by the programme.

Q:What allowances does one qualify for during training at local tertiary institutions?
A:The allowances are as outlined under Training Allowances on this portal.

Q:What is a training bond and how is it calculated?

A:A training bond is the extent of an officer’s liability to government at the end of a training programme.

Bond Formula: Salary (during training) X length of training (in months)  + Return Airfare

Formula for Internal Training:

 On-campus students: Salary X period of course+ P15/week. (b) Period served/total bond period. (c) Balance =a-b.

 Off-campus students: Same as above But P5/week

Q:Can an officer be promoted while on study leave?
A:No. Promotions are based on performance on the job.

Q:How does one qualify for benefits while pursuing part-time studies?
A:The officer must notify his employer of his intention prior to his enrolment indicating the extent of government support he may require.

Q:How is the rate for trainees meal allowance determined?
A:It is the Pula equivalent of the price charge for lunch by the catering company. In cases where there are no catering companies the trainees will be required to provide quotations from nearby restaurants and shops. Meal allowance is not payable during school vacations and on weekends?

Q:Where can one get a list of accredited institutions and programmes?
A:At the Botswana Training Authority (BOTA) for Certificate level programmes and the Tertiary Education Council (TEC) for Diploma level programmes and above.

Q:Does attachment form part of training?

Q:Does failure to sign a bond agreement absolve one from bond liability?

Q:Should industrial class employee be included in training plans?

Printable version
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.