Local time: Monday, 23 October 2017 07:55:38hrs
I am looking for: 

Office of the President (OP)
93% refers to all Batswana outside the public sector
08/07/11

This Office has noted a number of reports in the media that have misinterpreted remarks that were recently made by H.E. the President, while speaking to residents in the Letlhakeng West Constituency.

In his remarks, His Excellency observed that while the Public Service constituted some 7% of the total population, Government has to also be concerned about the interests of the other 93% of Batswana, which included the unemployed, underemployed and those in the private sector.

Further to the above, in his full remarks the President neither said nor implied that 93% of Batswana were unemployed.

In additional remarks, the President has also observed that salaries for the 7% already account for 38% of Government's recurrent costs, and therefore should not become an even greater burden on public finances to the detriment of the interests of other members of society.

Finally, we are take the opportunity to once more affirm that it is in our view entirely appropriate for His Excellency to address all issues as may arise in his constituency tours.

Printable version
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.