Ministry of Health (MOH)
0
1
2
3
4
District Hosptals
Scottish Livingstone Hospital

 

The district hospital is situated in Kweneng District in Molepolole in the southern part of Botswana, approximately 60 km from Gaborone. The village has a population of approximately 70, 000 and acts as a a gate way to the Kalahari Desert.

The history of the state-of-the-art facility dates back to 1933/1934 when the initial hospital was built by the United Free Church of Scotland. Dr. Sheppard was the first doctor to work at the hospital. the hospital was officially launched on septemeber 3rd 1934 and that stage had 20 beds.

Athlone Hospital

Established in 1929, Athlone Hospital in Lobatse was the first goverment hospital in Botswana during the colonial era. Before its inception, only mission hospitals such as Scottish Livingstone in Molepolole and Seventh Day Adventist in Kanye were operational.

Deborah Retief Memorial Hospital
About 40 kilometers north of Gaborone lies Deborah Retief Memorial Hospital (DRM) in the mountaineers capital of Bakgatla Ba Ga Kgafela in Mochudi. As one of the oldest hospital in the country, DRM owes its origins to the Dutch Reform Church of Botswana. The hospital is named after Miss Deborah Retief who tirelessly dedicated her services to Bakgatla opened its doors for the first time on September 1932.
Mahalapye Hospital

Officillay opened on August 2008, Mahalapye District Hospital is one of the four district hospitals that have recently completed as part of government efforts to improve people's access to medical care as well as introduce specialist services closer to the community.

Sekgoma Memorial Hospital

Sekgoma Memorial Hopsital (SMH) is atate of the art hospital situatted in the outskirts of the Bangwato capital, Serowe along the Serowe-Palapye road in the Central district. SMH which offers high quality health care was officially opened in 1928. The hospital is named after Kgosi Sekgoma I, who was the Paramount Chief of Bamangwato in the 1920's.

Selibi Phikwe Hospital

The Selebi Phikwe Government Hospital which started as a clinic in 1970 is situated in the Central District of Botswana, approximately 150 kilometers south east of the city of Francistown. The hospital which opened its doors with a bed capicity of 65, now caters for projected 44 661 people. When the hospital started around 1970 it catered mainly for residents of selebi Phikwe which was a mushroom mine area. At that time a dwelling house was used as clinic

Letsholathebe II Memorial Hospital

Letsholathe II Memorial Hospital opened its doors to the public on September 25, 2008 under the leadership of the Chief Medical Officer, Richard Kambinda. The state of the art facility is situated 10 kilometers northwest of Maun village along the Maun-Shorobe road.

Printable version
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.