Local time: Monday, 27 January 2020 21:37:51hrs
I am looking for: 

Division of Import and Export
Application for Veterinary Import Permit

Legal basis

The Department of Veterinary Services has a mandate to protect the health of animals, humans  and their environment in Botswana. This is achieved through various means and one is to prevent the introduction and spread of animal and human disease through the importation of live animals and animal products. This mandate is confered on the Director by the Diseases of Animals Act section 6 (1-3) and the Diseases of Stock Regulations stipulate the means by which an import permit may be acquired.

International standards

Protocols for importation of animals and their products have been established with various countries within the region and the rest of the world to facilitate trade. These protocols or requirements are based on international standards and in some instances are bilateral. Our guiding principles are the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and CODEX Alimentaruis standards and guidelines for animal health, veterinary public health and food safety.

What happens when Botswana has no protocols with potential exporting countries?

When a customer is interested in importing a commodity from a coutry which Botswana has not harmonised import and export requirements with, that request is submitted to the  Sanitary and Phytosanitary National Enquiry Point ( SPS NEP) in the Ministry of Agriculture. A process will be followed to develop requirements between Botswna and the potential exporting country before trade can resume. traders are also advised that in the meantime they may contact The Department of Agricultural Bussiness Promotions and Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS)  for clarification on other requirements that may affect your commodity.

What is this process? 

The process entails determining whether the identified commodity may be imported from the chosen country. This is influenced by among others, the animal health status of the potential exporting country, capability to meet Botswana animal and veterinary public health requirements laboratory testing capacity etc. Once the two veterinary authorities are in agreement to trade on the commodity by way of sharing harmonised model veterinary import permit (VIP) and veterinary health certificate (VHC) can the import permit be issued to the customer or trader to commence importation.

How long does this take to establish?

The process may take anything from three (3) months to two (2) years depending on the level of risk of the commodity and proposed mitigating measures proposed by the exporting country authorities.

How do I apply for the VIP?

An application form may be completed in person or downloaded (See Importation of products and Live Animals pages), completed and sent to main offices or Permits Office Ministry of Agriculture Headquartes, Gaborone. The permits can either be for the importation of live animals and animal product or for the intransit of the same. Issuance of VIP for animal products  are decentralised to Districts but live animal importation is centralised to Permits Office in Gaborone.The centralised VIP for live animals excludes dogs, cats, poultry and competition horses. The application form contains all information that is required to process the VIP.

What is an intransit permit?

This is a permit that allows consignments to enter , travel within and exit Botswana when the goods are not destined for Botswana. Before this permit can be issied, a copy of the veterinary import permit of the country of destination, or the next country of transit should be submitted with the application.

How long does it take and how do I collect one?

The VIP will be issued within 24 hours of receipt of the application. The applicant is required to state the means by which they can receive their VIP, either by post, courier company at their cost or self collect from the office where the application was made.

What if I stay far away?

The Ministry notes that unnecesary additional costs of aquiring these permits can be a barrier to trade and therefore has made it possible for the applications such as for live animals to be made at your nearest departmental office who then will submit the application on the customers behalf to Permits Offiice by the fastest method available. Once the permit is processed it will be sent to the office that sent the aplication or straight to the farmer by post which ever is prefered.

Does the VIP expire?

Yes and the current maximum period given is three (3) months which is long enough to land your import within Botswana. Otherwise the permit may be renewed  on request.

Are there any other authorities that I need to contact?

The Department of Animal Production  issues forms for importation of certain animal products and these forms are a prerequisite to the veterinary import permit.  Products include pork and pork products, poultry meat, milk and dairy products.  The Division of Plant Protection in the Department of Crop Production issues phytosanitary import permits (plant health) and these are required in the case of grasses for livestock feed.

 For the importation of wild animals and trophies the Department of Wildlife and National Parks need to be contacted for clearance and permits before a VIP can be issued. For further information please contact Licensing Unit and the Convention for International Trade on Endangered Species (CITES) desk Tel. (267) 397 1405.

The Botswana Bureau of Standards (BOBS) Standards ( Import  Inspection) Regulations of 2008 will apply for prescribed foods and agricultural products such as livestock feeds, milk and dairy products and canned fish, molluscs and crustaceans. These products require a compliance certificate before they are imported into Botswana.

Where can I get additional Information?

Please contact your nearest Department of Veterinary Services Office in your district or:

Permits Office SPS NEP

Ms Tshegofatso S.Chilume

Room 124

Tel: (267) 368 9528   

Email: DVSpermits@gov.bw


Mr. Ofentse Mogomotsi

Permits Office

Room 112

Plot 4701 Mmaraka Road

Department of Veterinary Services

P/Bag 0032


Tel.: (267) 368 9510  

Fax: (267) 318 1383

EMail: DVSPermits@gov.bw

Web: http://www.moa.gov.bw/?dept=dvs

Dr Nlingisisi D.Babayani

Room 107

Plot 4701 Mmaraka Road

Department of Veterinary Services

P/Bag 0032


Tel.: (267) 368 9505 

Fax: (267) 318 1383

Email: DVSpermits@gov.bw




Download Files

Application form  for intransit permit

Printable version
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.