1. Service Description
All livestock Buyers or speculators in Botswana are required by law (Control of Livestock Industry Act CAP.36.01) to be holders of current Livestock Buyer’s License issued under this Part in order to purchase or otherwise acquire livestock for the purpose of trade. Livestock Buyer’s License is valid for twelve (12) calendar months and can be renewed just a few days before the expiry date. The administrative processing of the Livestock Buyer’s License has been transferred from the Ministry of Local Government to that of Agriculture with effect from the financial year 1st of April, 2007.
2. How do I obtain a livestock buyers license?
Provide the following items to the nearest district agricultural office;
- Particulars for business or individual
- List of locations where livestock trade will be undertaken
- Specify purpose of trade be it for stocking/butcheries or retail stores
After approval of submission of the above said documents, payment of livestock license follows and license is issued
3. Required documents for livestock buyer’s license?
Valid National identity card (Omang) and residence permit/passport for non citizens
Cattle branding certificate
Trading license for registered companies
Proof of financial capability
4. Charges for attaining livestock buyers license
5. Conditions of livestock buyers license
- Register the livestock buyers license with local Chiefs and district commissioner
- Produce livestock sales report every month to district agricultural offices
- Produce license together with valid identity card when required at the Kgotla
6. Where can I get more Information?
Agricultural Marketing Division
Department of Agribusiness Promotion
Tel: (267) 3689000
Livestock Marketing Officers contact phone numbers:
Gantsi - 6596381
Kanye - 5440121
Molepolole - 5920529
Serowe - 4630000
Lethakane - 2978299
Francistown - 2412092
Selebi-Phikwe - 2600573