Local time: Wednesday, 19 February 2020 22:10:59hrs
I am looking for: 

Animal Movement Permit
Obtaining Animal Movement Permit

Permits may be obtained for the movement of animals (domestic and wild) from departmental extension officers.Movements may be:

  • Between zones for rearing/ breeding;
  • Imported animals issued permit at border to final destination or to quarantine;
  • To a cattle quarantine;
  • For slaughter at export approved abattoirs;
  • For slaughter at other abattoirs and for own use.

Each scenario requires an animal movement permit which is currently issued through the LITS system. Animals are presented to the extension officer who inspects them, reads their bolus(es) and if satisfied issued a movement permit.



Cattle should be healthy and have a bolus. A brand certificate and a national identity card (omang) or certified copy of are also reqiuired to proof ownership in the ase of cattle.

   Other animals

Bolus and brand certificate do not apply. In the case of wild animals and their products a capture and movement permit or equivalent for the species issued by the Director of Wildlife and National Parks is a prerequisite.


The trucks loading the animals should be clean as disinfection will be done by the loading officers before loading. The truck should be designed such that it will not compromise the welfare of the animals.

Centralised loading facilities

The department has established centalised loading facilitiesin Ghanzi  (Lokalane), Kweneng (Molepolole) and North East (Francistown) Districts to facilitate movement of cattle.These facilities are manned by officers who wil issue movement permits for animals without having to move between farms and numerous loading facilities within the districts. See Guidelines 

For more information pleae contact your nearest departnet of Veterinary Services office for details or visit http://www.moa.gov.bw/?dept=dvs


Printable version
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.