This is a document issued to motor vehicle owners authorizing them to use vehicle/trailer on the road.
A vehicle license is valid for a period of one year. This service is offered at most of DRTS offices country wide and at selected post offices. (Refer to DRTS key services map).
HOW DO I LICENSE A VEHICLE?
Vehicle license can be renewed on or within three months before expiry
Renewal after expiry will be charged penalties depending on the size of the vehicle
All trucks have to undergo road worthiness test and used within 3 months of the test.
Failure to renew trucks within the 3 months will require the vehicle to undergo another test.
HOW MUCH DO I PAY FOR THE SERVICE?
Vehicle Registration and licensing
Dependent on the type and mass of the vehicle
REGISTRATION OF A VEHICLE
· Customs clearance (CE 109) obtained from Botswana Unified Revenue Service (BURS)
· Police Clearance Certificate obtained from CID (Botswana Police Service)
· Certificate of road Worthiness obtained from DRTS vehicle Testing Station for:
o Vehicles 3 years old and above
o All re-imported vehicles
o Homemade trailers (obtain chassis number from DRTS before Police Clearance and Road Worthiness testing)
· Identity of the owner:
o Omang for citizens
o Residence permit / exemption certificate and passport for non citizens
o Certificate of incorporation for companies
o Certificate of registration for societies
o Parastatal number for parastatals
o Guardians’ ID for a minor (under 16)
· Diplomats should obtain an additional clearance from Ministry of foreign Affairs and International Co-operation.
· Application form for registration (RV 1) to be filled after all the above requirements are met.
· Submit to licensing officer together with the required fee for registration
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFOMATION?
Department of Road Transport and Safety
Botswana Savings Bank Building
Private Bag 54