Local time: Thursday, 12 December 2019 18:07:24hrs
I am looking for: 

Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry (MITI)
Import Permit

1. Import Permit 

A document that allows importation of goods into the country for trading purposes, as per Control of Goods, Prices and Other Charges Act Chapter 43:08.

Note: Department of International Trade issues import permits for Non- Agricultural products only. The permit is required for all industrial products (see Schedule I of the Act) from outside Southern Africa Customs Union (SACU), except from Malawi and Zimbabwe.  SACU comprises Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland and South Africa. For agricultural products contact Ministry of Agriculture at 3689000.

2. Where do I obtain the service?

 Service is available at the Department of International Trade office at Plot 690, Extension 2, Gaborone, Opposite Tim’s Lock and Key; or visit any Department for Cooperative Development offices in Francistown, Ghanzi, Kanye, Letlhakane, Mahalapye, Maun, Mochudi, Molepolole, Serowe, Selibe-Phikwe, Tsabong, Kasane.

3. How do I apply for the service?

 Fill in an Import Permit Application Form. Attach a copy trading license (for registered business or company); or a copy of a hawker’s/ street vendor licence and a copy of identity document (for private traders or individuals).

 In case of importation of goods which are restricted under any other laws of Botswana e.g. arms and ammunition, applications must be accompanied by a valid permit issued under the law concerned.

 Permit issued within a day (24 hours) for error free applications.

4. How much does the service cost?

 It costs P50.00 to obtain the permit.

5. How do I get more Information?

 Department of International Trade

Plot 690, Extension 2, Gaborone,

Opposite Tim’s Lock and Keys; and adjacent to Ext 2 Magistrate’s Court

 Contact No.: (+267) 3190243


Downloadable Form
Service Branches:
You may locate the service branche in charge in the  
Copyright © 2011 Government of Botswana. All rights reserved.