Ipelegeng is a Government Initiative or programme whose main objective is to provide short term employment support and relief whilst at the same time carrying out essential development projects that have been identified and prioritized through the normal development planning process.
- Targets unskilled and semi-skilled labour for short term assistance due to other economic factors through the use of simple tools and machinery.
- Focuses on maintenance of public facilities
- Is targeted mainly at being a source of supplementary income and employment to, but not limited to, vulnerable members of the community.
- Shifted its focus from drought relief to poverty alleviation in 2008.
- Currently the programme targets at engaging a total of 50,000 beneficiaries per month.
The Ministry coordinates programme implementation at the national level through the DLGDP while implementation of the programme is done by all Local Authorities in both rural and urban areas.
Projects Eligible To Be Undertaken Through Ipelegeng
- Maintenance of drift fences, primary and secondary school facilities, health facilities, staff houses and government facilities
- Desilting of dams and storm water drains
- Vegetation control (Bush clearing and grass cutting in public spaces and along public roads)
Implementation Procedure or Process
- Projects are initiated by the communities through the assistance of the Local Authorities
- Approval of implementation is given by the Ministry funds permitting.
- Project implementation is supervised by the Local Authorities through Programme Coordinators
Eligibility For Engagement On The Programme As A Beneficiary
- Any citizen aged 18 years and above may apply for and get a chance to be engaged in the programme.
- Must have a valid Omang /Identity
- Recruitment is done by the Village or Ward Development Committees (V/WDCs) at the village Kgotla.
Type of Benefits
- Current wage rates are P400 per month for casual labourers and P534 per month for supervisors.
- Employment is for a period of 20 days, working six hours a day. Employment is not on permanent basis. All beneficiaries must apply monthly and are engaged on rotational basis with preference given to those who were not engaged previously thereby spreading the opportunities and benefits.
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
More information can be obtained from all Local Authorities or toll free numbers:
MLG Headquarters - 0800 600 718
Gaborone City Council - 0800 600 061
Francistown City Council - 0800 600 242
South East District Council - 0800 600 795
Southern District Council - 0800 600 776
Kweneng District Council - 0800 600 794
Kgatleng District Council - 0800 600 880
Lobatse Town Council - 0800 600 876
Jwaneng Town Council - 0800 600 765
Selibe Phikwe Town Council - 0800 600 746
Sowa Town Council - 0800 600 754
Kgalagadi District Council - 0800 600 793
Ghanzi District Council - 0800 600 770
North West District Council - 0800 600 792
North East District Council - 0800 600 759
Chobe District Council - 0800 600 875
Central District Council - 0800 600 796
Or the Department of Local Government Development Planning at 3658425 or Project Coordinators in all Sub Districts and District Headquarters.
MLG Headquarters - 3658400
Gaborone City Council - 3657400
Francistown City Council - 2411050
South East District Council - 5381200
Tlokweng Sub District Council - 3928355
Southern District Council - 5440217
Kanye Admin. Authority - 5403319
Moshupa Sub District Council - 5449270
Mabutsane Sub District Council - 5889219
Goodhope Sub District Council - 5404183
Kweneng District Council - 5920201
Molepolole Admin. Authority - 5922181
Letlhakeng Sub District Council - 5943013
Mogoditshane Sub District Council - 3105615
Kgatleng District Council - 5777511
Lobatse Town Council - 5330392
Jwaneng Town Council - 5880303
Selibe Phikwe Town Council - 2610570
Sowa Town Council - 6213440
Kgalagadi District Council - 6540061
Hukuntsi Sub District Council - 6510249/286
Ghanzi District Council - 6596211
North West District Council - 6860241
Maun Admin. Authority - 6861729
Okavango Sub District - 6874040
North East District Council - 2489242
Chobe District Council - 6250896
Central District Council - 4630411
Serowe Admin. Authority - 4631138
Palapye Admin. Authority - 4921092
Mahalapye Sub District - 4713323
Bobirwa Sub District - 2619274
Boteti Sub District - 2978278
Tonota Sub District - 2484248
Tutume Sub District - 2987217