The act of registering the death of any person who has died in Botswana ith the National Registar.
Who qualifies for a death certificate?
Anyone who died in Botswana qualifies for a death certificate.
NB: Registering death is that it is used as proof of death for important services such as insurance claims, banking and so forth. Death registration also helps to generate statistics needed by government agencies.
What do I need to apply for death certificate?
Submit the tear off document of CRD-2 which is completed by the doctor who certified the death to the Registrar with full details of the deceased and form number to Civil and National Registration Office for the death certificate to be processed.
NB: For deaths that are not certified by medical Practitioners, bring a letter from a local authority (chief/headman) indicating particulars of the deceased including place and date of death and then complete a Declaration of Death Form at the office.
How much does it cost to apply for a death certificate?
- If a death is registered within 30 days (prescribed time), a death certificate is issued for free.
- Penalty fee of P5.00 for every month of default, up to a maximum of P100.00 is paid for any registration done after the prescribed time.
How long does it take to get a death certificate?
Upon the receipt of a report of a death, the registrar shall issue a death certificate. In the event of a late registration, a death certificate should be issued after payment has been made and the receipt of payment should be brought forward as proof of payment.
Who is liable to collect a death certificate of the deceased?
- Parents or guardian(s) can collect a death certificate for their deceased children.
- Married people can collect a death certificate of their deceased spouses.
- In a cases where a parent has more than one child, a letter written by all the children authorizing one of the siblings to collect their parent’s death certificate should be brought forward.
Where can I obtain this service?
All Civil and National Registration Offices countrywide.
Who do I contact for a death certificate?
Department of Civil and National Registration
Toll free: 0800 600 777