The Radiation Monitoring Service (RMS) is provided to monitor individual exposure and ambient radiation levels of the environment due to ionizing radiation from external radiation sources. The service is provided using Harshaw thermoluminescent dosimeter (TLD) badges for both personnel and environmental monitoring. The TLD badges used are capable of assessing with sufficient accuracy doses from exposure to beta rays, gamma rays, X-rays or a mixture of these types of radiation. The TLD badges are issued on monthly exchange periods at most two (2) weeks before the start of each wearing period. After the expiry of the wearing period*, the used TLD cards are returned to Department of Radiation Protection for processing and reporting of result follows.
How do i obtain Service?
- The facility must be licensed to pocess /use radiation sources
- Register with National Dosimetry Lab (NDL) by completing the registration form NDS 01 and sending it to DRP for processing.
- After completion of the process TLD badges will be sent to the facility by registered mail.
- After the expiry of the wearing period*, the used TLD cards are returned to DRP for processing after which the results will be sent to the facility.
- Staff changes that occur during the provision of the service are made by completing the amendments form NDS 02.
Costs involved in obtaining service
As a cost recovery measure, there are charges to the user facilities for the provision of the monitoring service and for lost or damaged badges. The charges are as follows:
- Monitoring charge per worker per month: P30
- Replacement charge for a lost or damaged Badge P550
Methods of payment: Cash/cheque or adjustment voucher paid to the Department of radiation protection.
Where ca i get more information
*the wearing period starts at the beginning and ends at the end of each month. To be considered for monitoring at the next wearing period, application should be recieved by DRP atleast twenty one (21) days before the beginning of the wearing period.
For more information on Radiation Monitoring Service, please contact:
Department of Radiation protection
Private Bag BO 1
Telephone: (+267) 318 8388
Fax: (+267) 395 7025
Pysical Address: Luthuli Road, Plot 1278, Cliff House, Second Floor
Fill in form:
Fee: Free of charge
You may locate the service branche in charge in the Useful Links