1. Service Description
It means the exclusive right that the creator or owner of a work has to exploit the work for a limited time. Copyright is protected under the Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act (CAP 68:02) What are examples of Copyright works?
• Copyright includes literary and artistic works, such as novels, poems, play, film, musical works, drawings, paintings, photographs and sculptures, computer software and architectural designs.
2. How do I obtain the service?
Visit one of the Offices of Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property in Gaborone or Francistown.
3. Is copyright registered?
No, Copyright exists upon creation of a work and the creator need not register to enjoy copyright protection. The mere fact of creation automatically qualifies a work as copyrightable.
• Who owns copyright? The original creator of a work owns the rights to use, reproduce, authorize or prohibit the use of their creation.
• Anti-Piracy The use of the security device (Hologram) The Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act CAP 68:02, requires that all sound and audiovisual recordings made available to the public by sale, rental, lending or distribution in any other manner to the public for commercial purpose in Botswana should have a security device or hologram affixed to them. The main benefit derived from the use of the hologram is to authenticate audiovisuals works so that law enforcers, the public and users can distinguish it from pirated works as a way of curbing piracy in the market.
4. How much does the service cost?
The security device (hologram) is sold for P0.30 at ROCIP either in Gaborone or Francistown. Who can purchase the security device? The following can purchase the security device:
• The owner of the work /producer
• The importer
5. How do I get more information?
For more information contact our offices in Gaborone at Plot 181, P. O Box 102, Kgale Mews or call 3673700/3188754 and Francistown at Plot 14201, Block 8, P. O. Box 2301, Tel: 2412339.or visit the website for Ministry of Trade and Industry at www.mti.gov.bw.
Fill in form:
Fee: Free of charge
You may locate the service branche in charge in the Useful Links